Friday, August 28, 2009

Bon Appetit


Sometimes, when I'm watching a movie, or reading a book, or trying to fall asleep, I find myself wondering "I wonder what X is doing.". (X being a person, obviously.) It isn't even that I really wonder, or especially care, but it's like getting a song stuck in your head- you can't help it. X has achieved almost imaginary friend status, my image of him has so little to do with the reality, but it is still slightly tiresome to have him pop into my mind at random intervals.
We went to see the movie "Julie & Julia" tonight, together as a family getting lost in space. I haven't read the book, and while My Life in France has been in my room for years, I haven't read that either. Nevertheless, I like Julia Child, and I certainly like that she went to Smith. She was such a larger than life character, while still remaining down-to-Earth, it's hard not to like her. Then again, I've made the same argument for Dolly Parton, and that hasn't buttered any parsnips with anyone, so what do I know? I would like to have a beautiful, happy, delicious, buttery life like Julia Child. Really though, I think I might be. I have the buttery part at least, and I can't help thinking Julia would have approved of our dinner that one night in the backcountry when we used an entire stick of butter in our mac to compensate for our lack of milk. She would have at least applauded the effort, and appreciated our understanding of what makes things taste good.

1 comment:

  1. I have a wonderful memory of when your Dad and his sibs were watching tv one day as I busily walked through from the kitchen to another room. I heard Julia Child's distinctive voice coming out of the set and I had a fleeting moment of puzzlement as to why these little people were watching a cooking show. I stopped in my tracks and looked. It was actually Chita Rivera doing a dead-on imitation of Julia on Sesame Street. She was teaching them how to bake a giant cupcake.

    ReplyDelete