Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ah, Women's College

It has been pointed out that since I've been at Smith I've only eaten a couple of meals by myself, and these have been bagels snarfed as I dashed to class, but I used to eat by myself all the time at Geneseo. I don't think it's a comparable situation, you can just join a table here, but that would have been very weird and awkward at Geneseo. They are very different environments, it's apples and oranges. Anyway. Eating with people is great, but eating with a bunch of women makes me sort of lonely for men for several reasons. For one thing, no one eats very much. The food here isn't great, it is school food, afterall, but it isn't poison, and yet all the girls eat like birds. They also keep track of what other people are eating and comment on it. We actually went around the table the other night and all said how much we weigh. I don't feel judged, but everyone was all disbelieving when I told them my weight ("You can't possibly weigh that much!"), and I don't like obsessing over calories and exercise. I've been going to the gym to get in condition for rugby, but it also is helping me feel ok about how much I eat, which is a big pain. I'm at Smith! We're supposed to be all empowered! And people actually eat more when they eat with other people, so it's very weird that I suddenly have to be more aware of what I eat now that I'm psychologically more likely to be eating more. And on that note, I'm off to lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God, that is so bizarre. Maybe this is a quad thing? I have never heard of Smithies doing that.

    ReplyDelete