Friday, January 30, 2009

From Where I'm Standing


I went snowboarding tonight. I didn't really know what to expect. Lugging my gear across campus and almost boarding the track and field bus I flirted with the possibility that I had gotten the wrong end of it, and there wasn't any ski bus. There was (obviously, as I've already said I went snowboarding), but there were only four girls, and only one other snowboarder. The drive there was nice in that I fell asleep. I didn't mean to , but it was very toasty in the van, and car rides are soothing. When we got there we found out that lift tickets are actually $30 and not $25 as we had been led to believe. (I had a very expensive day, there were other expenses too, and I need to mail at least one package in the next week or so.) I geared up, but the other boarder announced that she wanted to go off on her own, and so I was left to my own devices. This was something of a blow, I was at an unfamiliar ski resort all by myself without a working cell phone, and I hadn't been out on the slopes in about a year and the place was jammed with high school ski clubs. It occurred to me once I was on the chair lift, that you don't need people around when you're snowboarding, it isn't a team sport. It's better even, because no one has to wait for anyone and you can just do your own thing. I found a run that I liked, so I did it like eight times and no one complained. The ski clubs didn't bother me either, I don't know the people, I don't care if they see me fall, or that I rode the chairlift by myself. I just did my own thing and had fun. It was cold but not too bad, I had forgotten to wear thick socks, but I was ok. It started snowing around seven, and it was very pretty. It was pretty the whole time actually, and the runs were an absolute joy. I kind of wished I had someone there with me, (specifically the Jewish Angel, as he apparently goes there all the time, and we txted last night, late into the night so he was on my mind.) but it was still fun. It made me think about last year when I went to holiday Valley with Clarence. I'm not a very talented snowboarder, but I get a big kick out of it.
Now I'm back in my room, slightly sore, and ready for a good night's sleep, but feeling good. The other snowboarder turned out to be nice, she just needed some space, which is totally understandable. She told me to friend her on Facebook and let her know if I go again, and she suggested I do a winter camping thing with the Outing Club. I heard somewhere that people are happier when they spend their money on doing fun things and not buying things. It's totally true, I'm much happier having spent my money on this than the pair of whisk earrings I had my eye on at Faces. (Which isn't to say I won't buy them. I made a deal with myself that I'll buy them if I get a job.) So. Contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment