Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Belonging


I don't belong anywhere. Geneseo didn't feel right, but I had friends there, and now I don't even belong there with them anymore. I don't know how to fit in, I don't know how to break barriers and develop real friendships. I know I'm in the right place intellectually, but I'm not connecting with anyone. We had a game night in Wilson tonight, and I went because I love games, and I was hoping to meet other game-lovers. Apples to Apples is a lot of fun, but all of my interactions with people are pretty superficial. The girls are all so affectionate with each other, and it makes me very aware of the face that the only physical contact I've had for ages has been my yoga instructor helping me get into a pose. I want a friend, but I don't know how to get one. I pretty much figured you find one when you find one, like a boyfriend. If that's the case though, I could go the rest of my college career without making a real friend. I don't know how to be proactive about this, I've been trying, but it isn't working. My natural awkwardness isn't helping. I pretty much need someone to decide to befriend me, cuz I'm shy until I'm approached. I had a huge giant conversation with this one girl from my hall because she sat with me at dinner and I hadn't talked to anyone all day so my words were all pent up. I don't think I'm going to get a friend group like the one I had at Geneseo, I wouldn't have been able to build one like that without coming in with a couple of friends. It sucks that I can't go visit, but I think I would be pretty gutted if I went back and they had turned my spot in the group into a sewing room or something. It's probably better to not go back.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18591698

    It is hard being the new girl, and real friendships take some time. It' the sad truth. While you are waiting, I think you should make an outfit like the one the girl in the picture is wearing. It would at least give you a niche.

    And we haven't turned your spot into a sewing room. It has become an interpretive dance space. Duh.

    jk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm...a wacky costume just might be the answer. even if it doesn't help me make friends, maybe i could start fighting crime. superheros don't seem to have great social lives, but good works beat not doing good works.
    my spot was big enough for a dance space? i'm flattered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superheroes have GREAT social lives! Just look at Rogue! She had a sexy Cajun bf! Or Sasquatch - to all extents and purposes he had TWO girlfriends! And what about the Vision and the Scarlet Witch?

    ReplyDelete