Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nobility


You know, when you Google "noble" you get a page full of pictures of cars? What is the world coming to? I had to be much more specific to get what I wanted, but it was worth it, since I defy you to think of something more noble than a lion riding a horse. Or more hilarious than a monkey wearing two tuxedos.
Earlier when I posted about Aaron, I mentioned the fact that we chatted for awhile. I thought about posting about our conversation in that post, but I wanted to stay on topic and give him his due and not talk about myself anymore than I already did. But something came up in our conversation that I have been thinking about a lot, so here I go. Because Aaron is graduating, he is thinking a lot about what he wants to do with his life, and he asked me about my life plan. Now I love talking about my life plan, but his reaction surprised me. He was down for me going to Africa, which is unusual in and of itself, most people try to discourage me with stories about bot flies, malaria and rogue armies. No, what threw me was he said it was a noble life plan. So I'm not stupid, and I know that my life plan is a lot of doing good works, but I still feel like calling it noble is more likely mocking than sincere. I'm not noble. No one outside of my family even likes me because I'm so not noble. He meant it though, he said I was going to make a difference in the world, and people like me are going to help make the situation in Africa better (He said that! People like me!). And that's what I want, to help, but I don't know how I feel about being painted as noble. Even though he meant it in a good way, and it would be good to be a noble person...it made me feel guilty. Which is probably the opposite of what he wanted, but I can't help it. I'm not noble.

3 comments:

  1. oooh! ooh! pick me! Marshall without pants! or wearing a nightgown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lion-not so noble here. Horse-maybe noble. You-I think you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way the lion is helping the horse. "I told you to take the FDR Drive! The West Side Highway is murder at this hour!"

    ReplyDelete