Monday, February 16, 2009

Apathy

I am a little worried that I don't know enough people to get this club off the ground. The people that I do know don't seem very interested, Olga told me point blank she doesn't like to learn about war or politics because it depresses her and she can't make a difference. What the hell. We're at Smith! What is she doing here if she doesn't want to make a difference? My current plan is to just do whatever it takes to get butts in seats at the interest meeting. I'll take down names and pull a Chichikov and just use their names when I submit my request to be a recognized club. Hopefully people will want to join, but that's my fallback. Even though it would be incredibly discouraging if I was the only member of the club, I don't think I would be able to accomplish very much. Right now I'm trying to get the word out as best as I can, hopefully some people will have heard of the cause already and want to be a part of this.
I got my Black is For Sunday DVD and bracelet in the mail today. I went to one of the little viewing rooms in the library and watched it right away. I can understand people not caring as long as they are ignorant, but I feel like anyone that sees these movies would have to want to become involved and help. I'm going to try to get the women's rugby team on board, and I'll recruit in my house. I'm glad I got the Sunday bracelet, but I have three black things on my left wrist now (watch, hair tie, bracelet), and I'm starting to look kind of emo.
Training is going well. I was supposed to do my long run yesterday, but instead I slept all day, so I'm doing it today. I did the math, and I have to run about sixteen miles this week. That seemed like a whole lot, until I remembered that a half marathon is thirteen miles, and you're expected to run it all at once. Then I felt tired. I'll get there though, it's just a matter of building.
I only have two days of class this week. I have today and Thursday, but my one Tuesday class is cancelled, Wednesday is Rally Day, and I never have classes on Friday. I'm going to be very brave and venture forth on the PVTA tomorrow. Flora is running low on food, and I need sidewalk chalk to advertise for my interest meeting. I think it will be fun too, it'll be an adventure. Olga wants to come too, she wants to go to the mall, but then I'll have to wait all day because she has classes. My efforts towards making new friends are going ok, I watched movies with a girl from my history class on Valentines Day. She isn't an ideal friend candidate, but maybe she could introduce me to people that I would like more. It's all about networking, it's very hard to make friends in a vacume. Olga isn't so bad, but I really can't shake the feeling that she and Ruth talk about me behind my back. This isn't just paranoia, she's mentioned things they have said about me, and she certainly never stops gossiping about other people when I'm around. She actually pulled up a girl's facebook profile for her boyfriend to illustrate how ugly she is, and then got mad when he defended the girl. The more I think about it, the more I don't think I'll be waiting for her to go to the store tomorrow.
I sent in my UB program application today. I'm short a recommendation, but I'll deal with that as it comes. I really want to go to Utah, UB is a backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment