Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bitches


I had a good day today. Mondays and Wednesdays are busy, but I like them, and I had lunch with Emily's friend Andrea. It turned out that Gillett, where we ate, was having it's Legume Day, so lunch wasn't that tasty, but the company was nice. Andrea even hugged me, my first hug in weeks. My final textbook arrived today, which meant I got mail (the package alert card), a package (the textbook) AND a textbook. It was pretty great. There was a guy selling plants at the Campus Center today, and I really wanted one. He had all kinds of cacti and jade plants and orchids, but I still had two classes to go and I didn't want to carry a plant around all day. He'll be there again tomorrow though, so I might get one then. I like having plants in my room, and frankly, my ivy doesn't have enough character to be the only one.
My Medieval World quiz went well, I knew a lot more geography than I thought I did (also I studied a whole lot). The class was good too, we talked about the Crusades and a girl passed me a note! Like a friend! It was awesome. My reply made her laugh too, so maybe she'll do it again.
I took various steps towards accomplishing stuff today. I emailed Invisible Children about joining the Schools For Schools program, applied for a couple more SCA spots, and printed an application for a summer internship working at this UB summer camp for kids with ADHD. I was very optimistic and goal-oriented today, I felt full of energy and focus. It's something in the water here I guess, because it isn't because people here talk about all the sweet stuff they're doing, no one ever talks about internships or grad school or anything like that really. I just felt sort of inspired, but it was nice. What I would really like, is to do my PRAXIS with Invisible Children and go to Uganda. That would be the coolest thing ever in my life. But I feel good about things in general, Dana got into an SCA program today, good stuff is going around. I heard back from the Utah guy, he'll be doing interviews over the next few weeks. The UB thing could be really cool too. I'm sure I'll find something good to do this summer.
I went to the gym today because it's one thing to say I want to be able to run a half marathon by this summer, and another thing to put the work in and go work out. I go almost every day, but the days are so full here it feels like longer between workouts. It was good, I ran a bit, but they were strict about the thirty minute time limit.
It was breakfast for dinner tonight, which I always hated at Geneseo, but I liked it. I don't like pancakes, I'm a waffle girl all the way, but I could smell the pancakes all the way up in my room, and they smelled so good. It was a nice meal, I ate with some girls from my hall, and the pancakes were good, despite the non-maple syrup.
I had a great day. Really, it was a world-on-a-plate day. I'm really annoyed with the transfer girls for not calling me to tell me they were going to Friendly's to celebrate Ruth's birthday and making me cranky on my happy day. You know what though? I'm not going to dwell on it. Seriously. I'm going to watch last week's "House", and do some reading, and go to bed early because I'm tired and I have a crazy busy day tomorrow.
(Sidenote: Andrea said you cannot get to MassMoCA unless you have a friend with a car because it is like two hours away and the bus doesn't go there. So I can't go to the Hoedown. Sad. There will be other opportunities for dancing though, so that's another thing I'm letting go.)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your SCA stuff- what programs are you applying for?

    Legume day and Breakfast for Dinner? Those both sound remarkably tasty to me.

    I'm getting in shape too, starting tonight. Clarence and I are heading to the gym (if he is still alive, he did extreme yoga yesterday, and although he wasn't feeling it right afterward, there is no was he isn't this morning). We will get buff together!

    And friendly's isn't all its cracked up to be. Over-processed. Greasy. Death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm applying for fifteen summer programs, mostly trail work stuff. that's cool that you're getting in shape, are you really going to run the grand canyon? it would be an awesome things to put on a grad school resume...
    i don't really care that i wasn't invited to friendly's, but people are so frustrating. they only like me when i'm going out of my way for them, it's very one-sided. it makes me homesick for y'all.

    ReplyDelete