Saturday, February 28, 2009

Waiting

So the rugby clinic was really fun. The trainer really knew her stuff, and it was nice to work out with the team a little. I fell and skinned my knees (Who plays rugby on a tennis court? As if the squash courts weren't bad enough.) but I was very tough about it. It's sort of awful looking, but not too painful.
For those of you that didn't know, I love the movie Cold Mountain. I think it's incredibly romantic, and it's historical, and full of Old South charm and Jack White playing the mandolin. It also makes me think that it's possible for people that didn't know each other very well to be loyal to each other through a long separation. The characters in this movie barely even spoke before Jude Law went to fight in the Civil War, but they thought about each other all the time, and he walked across the South with a hole in his neck to get to her. My situation isn't really comparable, obviously times have changed since the fictionalized-for-a-romantic-drama-movie-Civil-War, but the movie makes me think it's a possibility. They didn't even correspond very much, he only got two letters from her, and she didn't hear from him at all. True, it's easier to keep in touch these days, but I can ignore that when it gets in the way of the fantasy. I can't have a real relationship right now anyway, I'm going to Utah this summer, I live in NoHo most of the time, and Buffalo the rest, there's no home base where this boy could live and see me with enough regularity that I wouldn't over-analyze and ruin things. It's nice to have this idea of a boy though. I think the women's college experience would be a lot harder if I didn't have even the possibility that there was a boy waiting. In any event, I need to do homework so I can go watch this movie, cuz now it's on my mind.

3 comments:

  1. I remember really liking that movie, but can't recall much of the plot. Doesn't he die in the end? No, I'm not trying to be a downer, but just trying to revive my memory.

    Glad you had fun at the clinic. Hopefully White Rabbit works out now that Olga & co. are out of the picture. It's so hard making friends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yeah he dies, it isn't a perfect comparison. White Rabbit has a lot of potential, but it IS very hard to make friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being where you are right now is extra perfect (can that happen?) because your problem with having boys/men in your life down the line will be choosing from among them. trust me.

    ReplyDelete